Medical Specialists are often on the move across multiple locations and at all hours. The ability to manage a specialist medical practice requires close collaboration between the specialists and his/her management team. At the centre of a number of these practices is a specialised Medical Practice Management System.
Lateral Plains was one of the first companies to provide virtual hosting of Medical Practice Management Systems.
- eliminate the need for specialist practices to host and maintain their own server hardware
- provide access to Medical Practice Management System from wherever the team is located and has access to the Internet;
- Provide tailored levels of support from basic updating, maintenance and backups to full managed desktop and systems support.
We are also working closely with My Family Web Doctor in respect of cloud based teemedicine solutions.
How It Works
Our Medical Practice Management System hosting is functionally very similar to regular Client<->Server setups. However, instead of having many Practice Management Systems Clients installed on many individual machines, the Clients on our systems run from a single Remote Desktop server which can be accessed over the Internet. The Practice Management Server is then placed behind the Remote Desktop server.
On top of this, our servers are all virtualised. This makes our servers easy to backup and not tied to the physical hardware underneath, allowing us to expand, shrink or migrate easily. Additionally, our virtualisation platform allows us to easily move the Practice Management Server between data centres or into a local server setup if required.
How You Connect
Each user only needs a computer of some form and an internet connection. Windows PCs are preferable for some of their extra capabilities including:
- Label Printer Support (e.g. Dymo USB labellers).
- Full copy-paste support between the local desktop and remote desktop.
- Generally quicker performance.
- Remote Desktop support for MAC OSX (10.8+)
We've also had success connecting to the remote desktop via iPads and Android tablets (handy for theatre/surgery) as well as iPhones, Android phones and Linux computers.
Security and Backups
There are a number of measures put in place to ensure security and integrity of the system.
- The remote connection from you device to the Practice Management server is encrypted by default.
- Separate login credentials per user (no shared users). This reduces damage done if a user is compromised for any reason.
- Strict remote desktop password policy (enforced by Lateral Plains operational staff) as well as regular password changes.
- The Practuice Management server is hosted in a tightly secured envioronment within our datacentre,
- Lateral Plains runs regular backup regimes on both the server and the data.